Friday 22 October 2010

Challenge Gran Canaria... final count down

This time tomorrow I will have been running for 7hr30 and hopefully will be reaching the final stages of Challenge Gran Canaria. Challenge Gran Canaria is an 82km ultra-distance reach which starts in the seaside village of Puerto Mogan in the south-west corner of Gran Canaria and follows mountain trails diagonally across the island eventually arriving at Santa Catalina in Las Palmas.

My kit

Since leaving my job 2 months ago I have dedicated my time to preparing for this race. I have ran 100s of kilometres over the toughest terrain Gran Canaria can throw at me, and I feel like I am in good shape. My body has adapted well to the training and I am stronger than ever before.

However it doesn't matter how much training you have done...you never know exactly how you are going to physically and mentally react under race conditions. This race is 22km further than I have ever ran at one go before, it starts very early in the morning and I will be competing against people that have a lot more experience than me.

If any of my dedicated fans (Barry and Gordon) would like to watch the race, I am aiming for roughly 10km per hour. This should get me into Santa Catalina at about 14.30 tomorrow afternoon.

START (P.Mogan)- 06.00
Presa de las Ninas- 08.00
Roque Nublo- 09.30
Pico de las Nieves- 10.00
Santa Brigida- 12.00
Jardin Canario- 13.00
Teatro Perez Galdos- 14.00
Santa Catalina- 14.30
(could be any time between 13.45 and 15.00, but if you ask at the finish someone should be able to give you an idea where I am).

Good luck card from Alison, who is in Malaga this weekend :(  

OK, time to carbo-load....

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, man. I will be running Dublin Marathon on monday. The race time expected by yourself is quite demanding. Good luck

    ReplyDelete