Friday 23 October 2009

Training in El Hierro


I am just back from El Hierro. Even though I was there with 32 children (Geography field trip) I managed to get in 4 unforgettable runs. On the first evening there I set off at 6.30pm to try to run to the highest point on the island (Malpaso 1501m), however I misjudged the available light and had to turn back about 1 km from the summit, and had to finish the run in the dark (1h40).

The next day after walking for 3 hours with the kids I ran back to our hostel. This was an amazing run, I climbed over 1000m in under 5km, taking 45mins. The rest of the run was through some of the nicest pine forests I have ever seen (2h).

Probably the toughest run on the week was from a fishing village called La Restinga, which is a world famous diving area, back to the hostel. Although this run started in the baking sun it was long before I was running through the clouds! I can't remember a training run like it, as it climbed the whole way. This run was 100% climb, and at times was some of the steepest climbing I have ever done (1h20).

Today I only managed to fit in a 30hour jog through the forest. The pine forest of El Hierro are amazing, nothing on the ground but pine needles! the perfect recovery run!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allan! Do you know if there are any road or x-countryraces on Gran Canaria in march 2010? Best regards Hans Nilsson, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Hans,
    Ledsen att det har tagit mig så lång tid att kontakta dig. Kolla in min nya bolaget (www.activecanaria.com), kan det intresserar dig.
    MVH
    Allan
    allan@activecanaria.com

    ReplyDelete